Sensor Tower has a variety of tools that allow you to track when app updates occur, and to understand the content behind each update. Two features especially useful for tracking updates are App Update Timeline and Custom Alerts. With these two features, you'll be notified whenever an app has any updates including: version, name, screenshots, keywords*, and more. Afterwards, you can navigate to App Update Timeline and see the content behind the update to track what ASO strategies your competitors are utilizing.
Tracking App Updates Using Custom Alerts
Sensor Tower's Custom Alerts feature enables you to pick a variety of different app update metrics to track. Here's how you can set up your own custom alerts to track whenever an app update occurs:
- Navigate to Custom Alerts under the Dashboards & Alerts section on the left sidebar, and click on 'Configure'. Alternatively, you can click on the () icon near your email address in the upper-right.
- Click on the Add New Alert button under App Alerts on the Configure Custom Alerts page.
Note: You may also set up a Publisher Alert, for tracking all app updates from a Publisher.
- On the Choose Type of Alert to Track page, type in your app / Publisher name and choose your desired app store.
- On the Select Metric to Use for Alert page, scroll down to the App Updates section and select Version Update. Feel free to select the other updates types according to your needs.
- On the Configure When To Be Alerted page, input how often you want to receive these alerts, and country.
- Finally in Name Alert & Select Delivery Options, give your alert a name and decide whether you would like to receive email notifications, or through Slack. Then, hit Finish!
Afterwards, your alerts will be configured and you'll receive email / Slack notifications whenever your selected apps have a version update.
Understanding Updates with App Update Timeline
So after you've received an alert that your app has a version update (or other updates), you can navigate into App Update Timeline to understand the update in more detail. In App Update Timeline, you can filter the update types according to your needs, via the dropdown menu at the top.
In the above picture, you can see an app had a version update on April 17th, 2019, as well as changed their screenshots, featured reviews, and started ranking for different keywords. Clicking into this header will expand the update details, giving you before & after comparisons of the app versions (shown below).
For more information or if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.